Immerse yourself in the world of spices and make your own 'top of the shop' blend of spices! Delicious with roasted chicken as we've done here, but keep this blend nearby for everything from roasted vegetables, grilled shrimp or a nutty rice pilaf.
This spice blend will make more than you need for our recipe below for 4 chicken thighs.
Serve this with the fastest side dish around: couscous! Add equal parts boiling water to couscous in a heat proof bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and season with salt and butter before serving.
4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or leg quarters
Juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt, liberal amount for seasoning the chicken
2 tbsp. Ras El Hanout (see below)
Ras el Hanout: “Head of the Shop” Moroccan Spice Blend for Tagine, Stews etc.
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground coriander
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
1 ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
1 ¼ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cloves
- Blend all spices together and use as required
- Season chicken well all over with lemon juice, salt and ras el hanout spice mixture—this can be done 24 hours in advance
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F
- Place chicken pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet or roasting dish.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until skin is dark and crisp.
- Serve Chicken with couscous or rice and with any collected juices. We like to serve with extra lemon, green olives, chopped fresh parsley and a fresh green salad.