This was it, this was the dish that made me change my mind about eggplant! Just a small amount of spice made a big impact! For a complete meal serve it with some garlic bread. We've made this recipe with both Mutti brand whole canned tomatoes and their fantastic canned cherry tomatoes.
1 large eggplant
¼ cup sunflower oil
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp ground cumin
2 cups water, divided
1 cup good quality canned tomatoes
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, to taste
freshly chopped greens such as parsley and/or watercress and/or arugula, to garnish
feta cheese, to garnish
- Trim and peel the eggplants, but leave some of the skin on. Cut into spears by first slicing thick circles and then cutting into strips the size of your finger
- Heat a wide heavy pot over medium heat. When the pot is hot, add the oil and the spices and fry for just a few seconds before adding the eggplant. Stir and toss for a couple of minutes, season with salt, and then add the first cup of water and the tomatoes.
- Bring to a full boil, and then add the second cup of water. Maintain a boil over medium to medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, until sauce has reduced.
- Cover and cook over low heat for a further 20 minutes
- Serve hot or room temperature, topped with feta cheese and fresh greens