Classic Broccoli Salad (updated)
Shopping at the market when heads of fresh, local broccoli are under $3 you're tempted to stock up, but there's only so much steamed broccoli you can eat. Insert the classic broccoli salad. There's a reason everyone has had it once in their life, it's delicious! We've updated it just slightly to replace the raisins (you're welcome raisin haters) with a local Honeycrisp Apple. We've also made the dressing with a little sour cream to tang it up and lighten it up. Also, do not omit rinsing the onions under cold, running water. It's a game changer! With practice, you can whip this together in the time it takes to fry the bacon!
6 strips bacon
1 head really fresh broccoli
1/2 large honeycrisp apple, diced
1/3 cup salted & roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup grated old white cheddar cheese
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
3-4 tbsp. white vinegar (taste and decide)
2 tsp. sugar
2/3 cup mayonnaise (full fat)
1/3 cup sour cream (full fat)
Salt & Pepper
- Dice and fry bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Meanwhile, cut broccoli into small florets and place in a large mixing bowl with apple, sunflower seeds & cheese.
- Place diced red onion in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold, running water for 10-20 seconds. Add to the bowl along with the now crisp bacon (add in some of that delicious bacon fat!).
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in mayonnaise, sour cream and a good amount of salt & pepper.
- Toss dressing with broccoli etc.
- Allow it all to come together in the refrigerator (the vinegar is there to soften the texture of the broccoli) for at least 30 minutes before serving. Leftovers keep well for a couple of days.