Spice Roasted Fish Tacos
Makes 8 tacos, can be doubled!
Oh how we love this recipe! If you have 30 minutes you can make these incredibly impressive tacos. Hydrating the spices first in water & oil to make a paste blooms their flavour compounds, more so than just sprinkling the spices on dry.
Just two toppings are necessary for these tacos, a fresh cucumber salsa and a slick of lime mayo.
Recipe testing proved that flour tortillas were far superior for these tacos, as opposed to corn tortillas. Be sure to warm them up in the oven, or 30 seconds a side in a dry frying pan.
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
1⁄4 tsp. each turmeric, black pepper & chilli powder 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. boiling water
1 tbsp. neutral oil
3⁄4 lb Newfoundland Cod, cut into 8 strips
1⁄2 English cucumber, seeds removed and diced
Juice of 1 large lime (hold a little back for the mayo)
1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
juice of 1⁄4 lime
pinch of salt
1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
8 flour Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a small, heat-proof dish mix together all of the ground spices. Stir in boiling water and allow to hydrate for about a minute before stirring in oil
- Place the cod strips on a parchment-lined baking sheet; season well with salt and then drizzle the spice mixture all over the pieces. Set aside for 5 minutes while you make the salsa and mayo
- Mix together diced cucumber with salt. Stir in lime juice and cilantro
- For the mayo, simply mix together lime juice, salt and mayo 6. Bake cod for 7-8 minutes, until it just begins to flake
- Warm tortilla shells in the oven for 30 seconds and then assemble tacos!
- Warm tortilla, lime mayo, cod and cucumber salsa-enjoy!