This is a really unique recipe that we made for the first time over 15 years ago and still dream about how delicious it is! We made a signature salad with mixed greens in a light honey dressing, with slices of this pumpkin, goat's cheese & toasted hazelnuts. Also fantastic on a charcuterie board!
Peeled pumpkin cubes from about a 5lb. pumpkin
6 cups white sugar
3 cups white or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. whole cloves
1 large cinnamon stick
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- Set up a hot water pot for canning*
- Bring sugar and vinegar to a boil in a large pot. Boil until sugar is dissolved, then add in spices and ginger. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in pumpkin and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until pumpkin is fork tender, but not falling apart, stirring frequently.
- Remove jars from hot water canner. Using a slotted spoon, carefully add pumpkin into jars. Pour liquid over pumpkin leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Screw lid onto jars, lightly tightening.
- Process jars in canner for 20 minutes. Remove to a towel-lines space on your counter, leaving to settle for 24 hours before storing in a cool, dark place.
- Enjoy within 6 months to 1 year.
*Click HERE for a little Canning 101