Winter-Spiced Potato 'Salad' with Garlic Yogurt
A delicious side dish, or better yet, the perfect brunch or light supper with a fried egg! The local garlic makes a real difference here! Serves 2
2-3 medium-sized yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsp. vinegar (white or apple cider)
1 tbsp. salt
1 cooking onion, julienne
3 tbsp. olive oil (plus more for frying eggs)
1 tsp. smoked paprika (hot or sweet, depending on your taste)
1/2 tsp. each ground cumin & ground coriander
1 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
1 large, fresh local garlic clove
Salt, as needed
Chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish.
- Place potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water and add vinegar & salt. Bring up to a boil, then immediately reduce to a low simmer. Cook until fork tender. The vinegar will keep the potatoes firmer and intact in their shape.
- Drain and place in a mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil oil, followed by onions. Season with salt and allow to cook, undisturbed until crisp & golden, turning occasionally
- Stir spices into onions for the last 30 seconds.
- Use a spatula to scrape onions & spices onto potatoes. Gently toss.
- Mince garlic with a knife & about 1 tsp. of salt. This will be the most effective way to give you a super garlicky, sticky paste. Mix with yogurt.
- Divide yogurt amongst two plates, and top with potatoes.
- Fry Eggs: wipe out frying pan and bring back up to temperature over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil followed by 2-4 eggs. Fry until sunny-side up.
- Serve atop potatoes and sprinkle with herbs.