Makes about 6 cups of salad. Keeps 4-5 days in the fridge (not dressed), so perfect for lunch take-alongs! Add cooked chicken for extra protein.
1 cup quinoa (white or multi-coloured)
1/3 cup whole or sliced almonds
1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
1 cup grated carrot (about 1 large carrot)
1 cup broccoli florets, in small pieces
2-3 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup oil: can be a combination grapeseed & olive or one or the other
- 1.Preheat oven to 375°F. Place almonds on a small baking sheet and toast for 3-4 minutes. Remove, cool and chop if using larger almonds.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add in the quinoa, reduce heat slightly and boil for 10-12 minutes or until al dente.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and then turn out onto a baking sheet to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl place shredded cabbage, grated carrot, broccoli florets, green onion and toasted almonds. Fold in the quinoa.
- Make vinaigrette: in a blender place garlic, Dijon, maple syrup, red wine vinegar, kosher salt and pepper. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
- Reduce speed and blend in oil.
- Toss salad with vinaigrette to taste.