Homemade Tartar Sauce
For sure, we're grabbing fish & chips from our favourite local spot, but the sauce has to be this one!
Makes approx. 2 1/2 cups, or 6-8 servings.
2 cup Hellman’s or Duke's Mayonnaise
1 small shallot, finely diced (about 2 tbsp. diced)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. whole grain mustard (we like Kozlik's Triple Crunch)
2 dill pickles, finely diced
2 tbsp. capers, finely chopped
3-4 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
5-6 sprigs (or a small handful) fresh dill, finely chopped
1 hard boiled egg, grated (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, place shallots; add lemon juice and allow to macerate, while you are chopping the remainder of the ingredients.
- In another mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, capers, parsley & dill. Stir and season with salt.
- Add the shallots but not the lemon juice. Fold in egg and stir to combine.
- Add lemon juice and more salt if needed.
- Cover and chill until needed.
- Refrigerate leftovers and use within a couple of days.