Family Beef Barley Soup
Feed & satisfy many at the table with little time and pantry staples. Love in a bowl! The combination of tomato paste & tomatoes adds richness and umami, especially if you don't have stock on hand.
1 lb Ground beef
2 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
2 celery ribs, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup good quality canned tomatoes
8 cups beef stock, chicken stock or water
1 large, fresh bay leaf
2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 cup barley
salt and pepper, to taste
- In a heavy soup pot brown beef; strain off any excess fat, but do leave some.
- Add butter to melt, then add onion. Allow to cook for a few minutes, seasoning with salt and stirring until soft. Add carrot, celery and garlic. Season and stir for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste & tomatoes, breaking up larger pieces of whole tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Let tomatoes come to a high simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes until concentrated.
- Add stock, herbs & barley.
- Bring to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer and cook until barley is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as you like.
*Note: you may have to add a little extra stock or water if soup becomes too thick during cooking time.